Reliability and Performance in demanding plant environments
Innovative Refrigeration Systems provides turnkey design and building services and Industrial refrigeration systems. Vahterus has been their partner in supplying heat exchangers since 2010. When their customer, United State Cold Storage, wanted to increase its blast freezing capacity in Dallas market, Innovative Refrigeration looked to Vahterus for reliability on performance and delivery. The project was realised in three phases, with the initial systems installed in 2013, and the later expansion in 2014 and 2016.
High operating pressures require premium quality
The fully welded structure of Vahterus PSHE is known for its capacity to withstand high pressures. With this project, the capacity was put to test.
- The CO2 plant operates at much higher pressure than typical refrigeration systems, explains Michael McGinnis, President of Innovative Refrigeration Systems.
The usual refrigeration systems that Innovative Refrigeration deals with typically operates at 250 psi (or 17 bar). The US Cold Storage plants were pressure tested at 750 psi (or 52 bar).
- These much higher pressure led us to Vahterus products. There are other products on the market, but non can do what the Vahterus products can do pressure-wise, McGinnis praises. - We are excited to have a partner that is strong as far technical engineering is concerned.
Schedule is always challenge
According to Michael McGinnis, the project has gone smoothly despite the tight schedule.
- Us Cold Storage is growing at a fast pace, and the schedule was tight with all tree phases. Dr Jonathan Pascoe, President of Vahterus Americas, confirms that schedule did pose a challenge, but all equipment for all phases were delivered according to schedule.
- We delivered on time, and everyone is happy with the performance on the exchanger, says Pascoe.
McGinnis from Innovative Refrigeration acknowledge the reliability on delivery they get with Vahterus. Being a manufacture themselves, it is crucial for Innovative Refrigeration that their partners commit to the schedule.
- One really important factor in our manufacturing program is that we get honest and true delivery dates. Vahterus has done that reliably ever since we met them, says McGinnis.
Robust performance by Vahterus
Before the cooperation with Vahterus, Innovative Refrigeration was using another product that was made in the US. It was similar to the Vahterus product, except for reliability on performance.
- We weren’t getting the same robust performance as we get with Vahterus, says Michael McGinnis.
- We switched to Vahterus in 2010, and we’ve been very happy with the performance on their equipment and personel.
At the end of 2009, technicians at DONG’s combined heat and power plant (acquired by VEKS in May 2012), in Köge, Denmark, contacted one of our distributors about the replacement of an existing heat exchanger.
Together, they found great potential for energy saving. For years, DONG and Junckers, to...
Leonardo Berardinelli, Vice-President Production Division at Preston Phipps Inc, Montreal